Landing in KLIA Lot No 5, Arrival Hall Level 3 Lot No 1, Main Terminal Building Level 1 Lot No 5, Contact Pier Link Bridge Landing in KLIA2 Lot PR-04-52, International Arrival before Immigration Lot L2-74, Level 2 International Arrival before Details at https://www.u.com.my/extras/promotions/traveller-sim
RM350,000 allocated to repair damaged facilities in Pulau Kapas
A total of RM350,000 has been allocated for the repair and maintenance of the facilities in Pulau Kapas to provide better image and attract more tourists to the resort island. Terengganu Tourism, Culture and Communications Committee chairman Ariffin Deraman said the allocation was approved by the state government through the State Economic Planning Unit (UPEN) and the repair works would commence in July.
“The facilities include the pedestrian walkways, stairs and rubber fenders at Pulau Kapas jetty as well as toilets, surau and jungle tracking routes,” he told reporters after visiting the island here today.
Terengganu tightens enforcement at drawbridge
Removing hazards: Stricter action will be taken on the drawbridge to deter rule breakers and improve safety for public users. — Bernama
KUALA TERENGGANU: Stricter action will be taken against those who fail to adhere to safety aspects and traffic rules along the route to Terengganu’s iconic drawbridge after it was officially opened to the public.
This includes enforcement against road users who park along restricted areas, said Mentri Besar Dr Ahmad Samsuri Mokhtar.
“We see many things that need to be improved, including a suitable place for the public to stop and take pictures and video recordings safely.“However, the habit of certain road users who park their vehicles on bicycle lanes although there are parking bays nearby will not be tolerated,” he said.
Road users have been found to purposely park their vehicles on bicycle lanes in Jalan Pantai Seberang Takir in Kuala Nerus and this was feared to damage the grass planted on the lanes.
Ahmad Samsuri said the improvements would be done during the closure of the drawbridge which started yesterday.
“The bridge will be launched officially as soon as possible,” he said.
The RM248mil bridge is the fourth bridge connecting Kuala Terengganu and Kuala Nerus after Jambatan Sultan Mahmud, Jambatan Pulau Rusa and Jambatan Pulau Sekati. — Bernama
Booking Grab ride in Malaysia? Submit selfie first All Grab users in Malaysia will soon have to do a one-time selfie verification in order to use the app in the country. This is to fulfil regulatory requirements. It will be similar to what new Grab users in Singapore are already doing, and a company spokesman said yesterday that Singaporeans would also have to comply with the Malaysian rule when using the app across the Causeway. Grab, through an announcement on its Malaysian app and its website, informed users recently that the compulsory measure will be in place by July 12. The website message read: "The selfie is for identity verification, safety, and may be used to assist the authorities when required. Grab ensures that your selfie and identity are secure and will not be shared with our driver-partners and merchants." Grab added that explicit permission would be sought before any access to users' cameras. Malaysian Transport Minister Anthony Loke had last July announced that, as part of new rules, passengers would have to upload valid identification card or passport details when they register for a ride-hailing account. He gave a year's grace to meet the requirements. Grab adopted facial recognition technology to meet the new rule, with first-time users required to submit a selfie of themselves before booking a ride. The Star daily reported that the new requirement has already helped solve a robbery-cum-murder case involving a Grab driver. Two suspects were nabbed in connection with the death of Mr Mohd Hanafiee Jaafar, who was robbed and killed on the job last month. The incident resulted in drivers fearing post-midnight trips and avoiding areas deemed dangerous, The Star said. Within Singapore, Grab users who signed up before February this year did not have to go through selfie verification, with their identities verified by either their Facebook account or credit card details. But new users signing up from February have had to submit selfies to successfully open their accounts. The Grab spokesman said: "These are part of our ongoing efforts to ensure high safety and security standards on our platform for both our customers and driver-partners." Singaporeans who use Grab during trips to Malaysia told ST that they did not mind submitting a selfie so long as it was used solely for verification purposes. Ms Wong Shi Hui, 25, who works in events management and visits Malaysia every three months, said: "It is good that measures are in place to protect drivers as well. Selfies seem harmless enough if they can ensure a safe ride for everyone." ~The Straits Times~
New VMY 2020 logo to be unveiled this month The logo for Visit Malaysia 2020 will be unveiled during the national-level Hari Raya open house at the Royal Museum in Kuala Lumpur on June 22. “The Prime Minister himself chose the logo on the eve of Hari Raya. “The theme and logo will be unveiled then,” Deputy Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Muhammad Bakhtiar Wan Chik said during his Hari Raya open house at SMK Pondok Upeh here yesterday. A total of 586 entries were submitted for a design competition in March. The design will also symbolise the various attractive ecotourism products in Malaysia. Early last year, the Visit Malaysia 2020 logo did not go down well with social media users, as they generally felt that the design was not up to standard. The emblem featured a cartoon of an orang utan in sunglasses hugging a proboscis monkey, a silhouette of the Petronas Twin Towers and a turtle on a beach, also wearing sunglasses. It included a caption: “Travel. Enjoy. Respect.” Muhammad Bakhtiar said that events meant for Visit Malaysia 2020 would be required to be coordinated with the secretariat in charge of the campaign. “This is to ensure it does not clash with other events under Visit Malaysia 2020,” he said. He was responding to the proposal to bring BTS, a K-pop group, to the country for the celebration next year. In April, Youth and Sports Minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman had promised to bring the boy band to Malaysia and Tan Sri Tony Fernandes was tasked to deliver on this pledge. Yesterday’s Raya open house was jointly hosted by Muhammad Bakhtiar, who is also the Balik Pulau MP, together with Pulau Betong assemblyman Mohd Tuah Ismail and Teluk Bahang assemblyman Zolkifly Md Lazim. ~News courtesy of The Star~
Excitement runs high as first Asean drawbridge opens in Terengganu
Visitors brimming with excitement gathered as early as 6am today, an hour before opening, to get a closer look at the first drawbridge in Southeast Asia.
The road junction to the drawbridge from both Kuala Terengganu and Kuala Nerus was filled with vehicles waiting to cross the 638m bridge.
As soon as the road cones were moved at 7am, motorists and motorcyclists got onto the bridge and sounded their horns in excitement.
Some stood by the roadside and took pictures and video recordings.
Fauziah Jusoh, 42, said she had arrived at 6am because she could not wait to take a closer look at the bridge.
“When I got to know that the bridge would open today, I was very excited,” she said.
“After sahur and subuh prayers, I drove here straight.”
Fauziah, who is from Kuala Terengganu, said she was proud to be among the first to get on the bridge.
Seberang Takir resident Muhammad Sollehin Yunus, 38, said now it would only take him about 10 minutes to travel to the city centre from his home, compared with 15 to 20 minutes previously.
“Before this, if I wanted to go to Kuala Terengganu, I had to use the longer route.
“But now there is a shorter way. I just proceed to the roundabout near Ketapang Bay Beach and continue towards the bridge, and I will reach Kuala Terengganu in no time.”
The government officer was already waiting at the road junction to the drawbridge from Kuala Nerus at 6.30am.
The drawbridge, which has two 16-storey tall towers, is open for a trial run until June 17.
East Coast Economic Region Development Council senior manager (ECERDC) Razlee Hassan said 300 to 400 vehicles were expected to pass through the bridge today.
He said the public was not allowed to walk on the bridge to take pictures as the pedestrian walkway was still closed.
“At the moment, no pedestrians are allowed on the bridge as this is a temporary opening.
“Only vehicles are allowed during the trial, because we do not want traffic problems.
“To selfie buffs, please be patient... God willing, after June 17 we will announce the official opening date.
“Then, you can take as many pictures as you want.”
In addition, he said, in conjunction with Hari Raya Aidilfitri, the area around the drawbridge would be illuminated with coloured lights at night from June 4 to 7.
~New Straits Times~
Test run of iconic new bridge proves a big ‘draw’ for visitors
One for the album: Visitor Wan Amir Asyraff Wan Azman (right) and a friend posing for a wefie at the Kuala Terengganu City Centre drawbridge. — Bernama KUALA TERENGGANU: Excitement is running high as people gather in droves to take a closer look at the first drawbridge in South-East Asia, which connects Kuala Terengganu and Kuala Nerus.
A check found that the intersection entering the 638m drawbridge was filled with cars from both directions.
As soon as the cone was lifted at 7am yesterday, motorists honked excitedly as they were among the first to set foot on the bridge.
Many visitors also stood by the side of the road to take pictures and videos.
“When I learned that it would be opened today, I was excited. After performing subuh prayers, I quickly come here,” she said.
Another resident, 38-year-old Muhammad Sollehin Yunus, was happy as the travel time from his house at Seberang Takir to the city had been reduced to only 10 minutes. “Before this, I had to take a longer route to Kuala Terengganu. Now, I only need to go through the roundabout near Pantai Teluk Ketapang and continue to the drawbridge to reach the city,” he said.
The drawbridge, which features two 16-storey tall towers, will open for a test run until June 17.
East Coast Economic Region Development Council senior manager Razlee Hassan said they estimated that 300 to 400 vehicles would use the drawbridge yesterday. However, he said, the public were not allowed to walk on the bridge to take photographs as the pedestrian route was still closed.
“At the moment, pedestrians are not allowed as the bridge’s temporary opening is only for traffic trials and open to vehicles only to ease traffic congestion. We will announce the official opening date on June 17,” he said.
In conjunction with Hari Raya Aidilfitri, the surroundings of the drawbridge will be decorated with coloured lights from tomorrow to June 7. — Bernama